24/7 Emergency Water Damage Restoration Services • Free Visual Inspection For Property Owners (778) 655-0490

Call Today! (778) 655-0490
Call Today! (778) 655-0490
Vancouver LogoLogo
Call Today! (778) 655-0490
Call Today! (778) 655-0490
Vancouver Logo

Why is Mold So Dangerous?

Published by 911 Restoration Vancouver on March 4, 2014 in category: Mold Inspection with tags: ,

Mold is not only hazardous to your health but can be messy as well. At one time, when my family and I lived in a house by a river, the surrounding land was wet from heavy fog that rolled in constantly. Our only heat was butane. One day when I opened the closet door, I found my shoes and purses covered with mold. There was also mold in other areas of the house, which was caused by the excessive moisture in the area. We quickly found another location on higher ground.

Avoid the Symptoms

At the time of my experience, I did not realize how dangerous this mold was. With a little research, I have found that in 2004 the Institute of Medicine issued a report that stated that indoor exposure to mold is linked to a number of health problems. For example, people sensitive to molds can develop problems such as eye or skin irritation, nasal stuffiness, upper respiratory tract symptoms like coughing and wheezing, asthma symptoms and respiratory illness in children. This report is quite intense and worth reading if you are interested in the problems that are connected to mold exposure.

Mold growth is directly linked to moisture. Dark, wet areas are the ideal breeding ground. Spores from the mold get into the air and are breathed by the inhabitants. This is especially true when the mold is in a basement. The spores can be drawn into the ventilation system and can enter all parts of the structure. Mold can occur anywhere there is moisture. This may be in basements, plant pots, pipes, roofs, paper products, wood, drywall, carpets and many other places. It is especially prevalent when a building has been flooded.

Know the Signs of Infestation

Signs of mold include a stale musty odor in the air or in curtains or other materials, specks of black and white around areas near water sources, crystalline substances on ceilings, damp cardboard storage boxes, and any place that feels damp. It can cause severe damage to a building or home, and it can cost a great deal of money to remove if it is not tended to as soon as it appears. In addition, sneezing, coughing, irritation of the skin, throat, eyes and nose, and headaches have been attributed to mold infestation.

Take Action!

At the first indication of a mold problem, it is important to contact professionals and have a complete inspection of the home or building. They will be able to determine where the moisture is coming from and use the latest in equipment and materials to remove the dangerous mold, hopefully before anyone in your home falls ill.

Having a mold inspection will not only help protect the health of the home’s inhabitants but avoid permanently damaging your home as well. Although my personal experience was extreme, imagine opening a closet door to an almost completely moldy interior! You can avoid this problem by acting quickly at the first sign of mold.

ecofriendly company
Call us today with any questions or concerns! (778) 655-0490
7228 Winston St #23 Burnaby, BC V5A 2G9, Canada
*Property Owners Only. Restrictions Apply